Friday 31 August 2012

A Trip to Tralee



On the 26th we went to Tralee Bay Wetlands Centre and upon arrival were given a great talk about the wildlife around here. We then got taken out on a boat through the reeds where we saw two flying Grey Herons, a Cormorant, Mute Swans and flyover Goldfinches. And everyone seemed to decide that I am a Twitcher! Which I am not!

We then went up into their twenty metre high viewing tower. From there, my uncle Hugo spotted a male Pheasant and, in the distance on the bay (which was sadly way too far away to tell what all the birds were) I spotted: Oystercatchers, Lapwings, Curlew and Lesser black-backed Gull. On the way to one of the hides we came across a flock of Starlings and then a group of Goldfinches on some Thistles. On the way back from the hide I saw two Reed Buntings! We went back to the centre and then drove to a craft shop, and from there we went for a walk along the river where I saw a flock of what I think could be Knots in flight. I got one shot that's not very good, but if anyone could confirm it that would be great. If they are Knots, that would mean that in the year or so that I've been birdwatching I've seen 114 species!



I've found out that I'm going to get back to England in early September, It will be interesting to see what the wildlife at Valentines Park will be like. The hundreds of Gulls that winter there might all be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...